Call Olive Support
Mon - Fri: 9AM - 6PM (MST)

(708) 847-3208

  • My Cart (0)
  • Your Cart is Empty

Which is the Hearing Doctor? Audiologist vs ENT

If you’re experiencing loss of hearing, tinnitus (an annoying ringing or buzzing in your ear), or other problems in your ears, nose, or throat, then you should seek the advice of a medical expert. But when considering an ENT vs Audiologist, which is better? Which is the hearing doctor? What is the difference?

Audiologist: the hearing doctor

An audiologist is a healthcare professional that specializes in treating people that experience hearing loss and balance disorders, including tinnitus. An audiologist is also known as a hearing doctor.

They primarily deal with issues related to sensorineural hearing loss, which is hearing loss that stems from damage in the inner ear, such as from ageing (presbycusis) or noise-induced hearing loss. Most audiologists have either a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree in audiology, but some have a doctorate in audiology (Au.D.).

They are trained in monitoring and diagnosing issues of the auditory system or those pertaining to hearing, and the vestibular system, which is the sensory system that provides information to the brain dealing with motion, head position, balance, and spatial orientation.

An audiologist’s main goal is to improve a patient’s ability to hear and communicate, thereby improving the patient’s quality of life. They do not perform surgery or prescribe medication. Instead, they attempt to treat hearing loss non-invasively, such as by prescribing hearing aids or other hearing assistive devices, and performing diagnosis exams, counseling, and auditory training.

Otolaryngologist: the ENT

Also known as an otolaryngologist, ENT physicians specialize in the treatment of issues relating to the ears, nose, and throat. They are also trained to perform surgery.

Unlike audiologists who are hearing health professionals (sometimes with a doctorate), otolaryngologists are MDs, who have received their doctorate in medicine. 

Because the ear, nose, and throat are so interconnected, they essentially function as one unit, and problems in one usually affect the other parts, such as sinus infections. An otolaryngologist is an expert and can treat problems in all three areas.

Whereas audiologists deal primarily with sensorineural hearing loss, otolaryngologists usually manage conductive hearing loss, which is hearing loss due to issues in either the outer or middle ear that prevent sound transmission to the inner ear. To correct some of these issues, otolaryngologists will perform surgery to implant cochlear implants or bone-anchored hearing aids. They perform various other surgeries including ear tube surgery and removal of tonsils. Otolaryngologists also treat hearing loss that is associated with ear trauma, tumors, infections, or conditions such as otosclerosis.

Otolaryngologists will often treat these issues and then refer patients to an audiologist for follow-up care, which may consist of auditory rehabilitation or getting fitted for a hearing aid.

ENT vs Audiologist: Which Do I Need To See?

woman ear inspection ent vs audiologist

Strictly speaking, an audiologist only deals with issues relating to the ears, whereas an otolaryngologist treats conditions related to the ears, nose, and throat. An audiologist primarily treats hearing loss, tinnitus, and balance issues; an otolaryngologist typically does not treat hearing loss, instead treating other medical issues related to the ears, nose, and throat. 

You should see an audiologist if:

  • You are experiencing difficulty hearing sounds (particularly high-pitched sounds) or communicating with family members or others
  • You have been experiencing a loss of hearing that has been going on for many years
  • You are experiencing hearing loss and your physician does not diagnose a medical cause, such as infection, tumor, or ear wax impaction

You should see an ENT if:

  • You are experiencing an immediate drop in your ability to hear, which could indicate a condition requiring surgery
  • You are experiencing ear wax impaction (although your physician may be able to treat this)
  • You are experiencing ear pain, dizziness, pressure, or tinnitus (an audiologist can also treat this, but an otolaryngologist will determine whether the cause is medical or not)
  • Your physician suspects a medical cause for your hearing loss
  • You are experiencing additional symptoms related to your nose and throat, such as sinus issues or lumps on your neck

If you’re still unsure about the ENT vs Audiologist question, the best course of action is to schedule a visit with your primary care physician. They will give you an examination to determine if you have any type of ear infection, sinus infection, injury to your ear, or something as simple as earwax buildup.

Depending on what your physician finds, they may refer you to either an ENT for further examination or a licensed audiologist for a hearing test.

The information in this guide has been written using the following reliable sources: